Friday, April 07, 2006

RANT: Gas Prices

Okay I don't do this often. This being put many of my complaints up here for all to see. I always think that no one is going to agree with me anyway, so why bother taking the time to write it. I've read many rants on various sites though and realize that a lot of people feel the same way about issues that I do. So today I'm going off on the ever rising gas prices. So I live in a small town, right? So why the hell are our gas prices higher then say New York City and Boston? You know why? Because people will pay for it. People in our little town know no different. They don't get out of their sheltered little worlds long enough to realize that we are almost at $3.00 for a gallon of gas. $4.00 is not out of the question come this summer. I watched and listened for about 3 or so weeks as the prices would rise sometimes $0.10 a day if not more. Nothing was said about it. No news station picked up on it. It was like top secret why prices were going up. Finally today it was the top news story. Last week gas was $2.63 a gallon or so...this week it is $2.79. There is no real excuse for it, except rising oil costs. While why are oil costs going up? I could kind of understand gas prices going up after Katrina hit. But even then I think they took advantage of people who were going to buy it. We don't have a choice. That's the bottom line. People around here don't have public transit they can rely on. We have to have gas in the car or else we ain't going anywhere. Gas prices have always irritated me since I started driving, which I should mention was much lower at that point. I think now that I've started driving more I notice it. My car is excellent on gas. I usually only have to gas up once every 3 weeks. It's become more frequent with going to the station every other day and classes and other things that I have to do. I don't know...maybe it also irritates me because if they weren't high, I might see my boyfriend more often, but that's just a personal side note. But for a poor person like me, it's getting to the point where I don't know if I will be able to afford gas. So if you can't afford gas, then you can't drive to a job, so you can't make money to buy more gas. It's a vicious cycle and I honestly don't see it coming to an end anytime soon. Gas prices nowadays are complete bull shit and that's all I'm gonna say.

No comments: