Saturday, May 13, 2006

One Day

4 years ago I entered college really not knowing what to expect. My world was pretty sheltered I think. I had my close group of friends from high school. I didn't know how I could start all over at a new place and make friends all over again. It was quite easy in a place like Herkimer County Community College. The Radio/TV program was full of people. The professors were welcoming, the classmates always talked to each other and helped each other out with video and audio projects. I made a group of friends that far surpassed the high school group (many of whom I no longer spoke to anyway.) We often hung out in the professors offices between classes, it was a real laid back environment. We learned but at the same time we had fun with the hands on portion of it. I knew nothing would come close to that experience. I was right. Utica College was an experience in itself. Just not in the same way that HCCC was. I have a great group of friends from UC as well. It's not as large as it was at HCCC, but the journalism group (much like the Radio/TV group) became friends too. We all know each other and had fun in the same classes. So 4 years ago did I expect to be sitting here today actually happy with where I am? Not really. I thought I would be terrified at the thought of graduating and having to face the real world. But...I've been in the real world doing what I want to do for 2 1/2 years. Yeah...I'm still a beginner and I'm still learning things every day...but I'm doing it. I don't have the full time opening I want yet...but I have 2 part time gigs that right now are starting to look great to me. I'm actually excited about starting as a reporter on WIBX. It sounds like it's going to be exciting, and continuing on Lite is also great. I've learned so much there and have improved dramatically. Lite gave me my first "big break" in a sense. I just love it. I think it's great I get to use my skills from both HCCC and UC. I'm doing the broadcasting end and I'm doing the journalism end. I'm happy with where I am right now...and I think that's all that matters! And it's all down to this...one day until "I are a college gradjumawit" :) Can you believe it? I can't...

No comments: