Wednesday, July 26, 2006

RANT: Andrea Yates

Ok...I have to do this. I've been keeping my rants to a minimum...but this has to be said. The verdict for Andrea Yates came out today. For those that don't know, Andrea Yates is a Texas woman that drowned her 5 children. The first trial she was convicted and sentenced to life in jail but then a technicality gave her another trial, one which conluded yesterday with a verdict that I wholeheartedly disagree with. She was found not guilty by reason of insanity. She will be in a mental institution for her life, unless her case is reviewed and she is released. What the hell is that? She should be killed... Well I guess you know my point of view on the whole thing...but I do have a reason behind why I feel this way. From the day I heard about this woman drowning her 5 children in a bathtub I became very irritated and frustrated and several thoughts ran through my head. Why would you have children at all if you were going to kill them? Children are innocent beings...they never hurt her I'm sure. She claimed she did it because she was suffering post partum depression from her last baby. She also claimed that her husband forced her to keep having children. Maybe all this is true...but she wasn't completely insane when she killed her children. The nail in the coffin came when I found out that her oldest son found out what she was doing and he went running away from her. She chased him around the front yard to catch him and kill him. She knew exactly what she was doing when she chased him. Now this lady that doesn't deserve to live could get out of this mental institution if the doctors determine she is "well" again. She should either be sitting her ass in jail for the rest of her life or be on death row. So now you know how I feel about this verdict that was released today. Words can't really describe how upset I was when I heard this on the news. Nothing I can do about it though...just hope that she is committed for the rest of her life!!

No comments: