Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Looking forward to a new adventure

Let's face it...sometimes your life just gets into a rut, right? You know what I'm talking about. The day to day activities are just that...the same thing from day to day. During the week it's quite simple, I wake up (way too early I might add!), I exercise, I get ready for work, I go to work, I get out of work and go home, sometimes exercise, eat dinner, and then sit in my chair on the computer until I go to bed and wake up the next morning to do it all over again. Now sometimes there is a little variety in my routine. Maybe I'll go out to dinner on a night, or something, but typically it's my regular routine. Sound exciting? Wait until you hear about the excitement of the weekends...I get up (get to sleep a little later!), exercise, go to church (on Sundays), go to work (on Saturdays), come home and sit in the chair on the computer. Exciting? Yeah, not so much.

I get tired of doing the same old thing from day to day. I'm only 24 years old, I should have a life and I should be living the life. I guess I'm not really sure how I do that. I've been working since age 15, and typically on weekends I had to be up at 4:30 in the morning to get to work, so I never had the opportunity to stay out late. Also I never had a whole lot of friends...just my little group, and now they are all busy either working or spending time with their signficant others (which I don't get to do all that often), and so I'm stuck in my routine.

So yes I am looking forward to my new job (which is not starting as of June 1 like originally planned). I think the variety in the job will help me get out of this rut I'm in. There is a lot more traveling involved with the position, and I like to travel, so that will be good. I also noticed I have missed the going out part of the job I had as a reporter, and the covering breaking news. The rush I got when I did that live spot on the radio about the guy arrested for attacking and raping a Utica girl was such a rush. Although the story was sad and disturbing, I got to tell the story and watch as it unfolded. Same thing with covering the breaking news of the women's body found behind a firehouse...there's something about breaking news that just gets your adrenaline flowing. Any reporter knows what I'm talking about. So being able to travel and go see different areas of the state (and Pennsylvania) and going to different events, I think it's going to be a good thing.

Although I'm happy and exciting about starting a new chapter of my life, some things never change when it comes to the routine...and for now we'll deal with that. What the future holds for me, only God knows, but for now I'll enjoy the journey.

No comments: