Tuesday, April 17, 2007

So what is there really to say?

I know I haven't updated in awhile. Been kinda busy doing something called work. I know...very depressing I must say. Also been dealing with something called snow...ugh...it's April already, we should be done with this!! Anyway...been a lot going on here. A local police officer was gunned down in the line of duty last week and I've covered press conferences and done stories on it. This is the second local officer to be killed in the line of duty in a little over a year and I had to cover both of them and it is so hard to stay impartial and write like a journalist is supposed to. Then with everything happening at Virginia Tech, I've been following up on that and finding out local links to that. It's been busy, which is good, but tiring and it all eventually takes a toll on me, mentally and emotionally anyway. Lately I feel mentally drained. Nothing seems to matter anymore. Emotionally I just don't know that I can keep dealing with some of this. It's so sad and it's the responsbility of a journalist to remain impartial and report on the facts without any emotion creeping in. I've talked to some ex-journalists who said they got out of the field because of what I'm describing. They say they mentally burned out because of things like this. I don't want to do that because I seriously love what I'm doing. As for the station...I'm not even going to go into that right now. Do I still like it? Of course...I just have some things I need to think about when it comes to that. I guess that's all for now...I have some thinking to do...

No comments: