Thursday, December 06, 2007

What is it?

So if you know me at all you know I love Christmas. Love everything about it, always have. This year...not so much. I just can't get in the Christmas spirit as much as I usually do. It's been a very different year for me. It's also flown by and there have been so many changes for me.

There's something about thinking about the holiday that usually makes me smile and happy, but then I go out. People seem to have forgotten about what this time of year actually represents. They are hustling and bustling around the stores shopping for Christmas gifts or decorations, they are in a hurry in parking lots honking horns at people who are crossing or "in their way." They seem to have forgotten that this time of year is not about the shopping or the getting gifts or sending Chistmas cards or running to the post office to mail packages. I get so irritated with people pushing me in the stores or running to get that last item on the shelf of that "popular" gift for the year. I could just stand there and look around in amazement that anyone could be like that.

Yeah I'm a religious person so maybe that's why it hasn't escaped me that the word CHRIST is in Christmas for a reason. I won't go on a religious speal or anything, but He is the reason we celebrate this time of year. I wish some more people would realize that it's not about that important toy or giving your kids or grandkids hundreds of gifts.

I love shopping for people, I love giving the people I love what they want and watching their faces light up, but this year just seems to be different then most times. I still get the people I love those great gifts that they want, but I don't seem to be shopping with a smile lately because I have to run into those people that expect you to move out of their way or bend over backwards to make their shopping experience great.

I think the lack of Christmas spirit this year just comes from the irritation that people don't recognize what should be recognized this time of year. The fact that I don't get to spend the holiday with everyone I love...again...might also have something to do with it.

As the holiday approaches we'll see if I can try to increase some of this Chrstmas spirit.

No comments: