Thursday, February 26, 2009

Do I have a life?

That question runs through my head at least once a week. What do I do on a daily basis? I get up, exercise, go to work, go home, sit and watch TV, and then go to bed. What do I do on the weekends? Get up, exercise, go to work, go home and usually watch TV or play on my computer, and then go to bed. Notice a difference? I don't.

I started working when I was 15 years old. Not a glamourous job of course, but part-time hours. I haven't had a break in school or work for the 10 years I have been doing it. I know I'm only 24 and have a whole lot more work in front of me, but I'm young and vibrant and should be out having more fun. There are the occasional days I go out to lunch with a friend. But my friends work too and our schedules are so hard to coordinate. I guess I should be counting my blessings now, with the economy the way it is, that I even still have a job. There would be thousands of people in line to take my job. Don't get me wrong, I love my job. Or jobs I should say. It's just that I look at myself and I never really got to have fun. There was hanging out with friends in high school and college, but it was never much. Well they were partying on a Friday night, I was in bed because I had to get up at 4:30 in the morning to work at 6 or had to pull an overnight shift at the radio station. I feel kinda jipped out of some of the fun that young adults are supposed to have. I was always the responsible one that wouldn't go out and party. I never really wanted to. It doesn't appeal to me to go get drunk for no reason and then feel awful the next day. Who would want that? But at the same time, I feel like I should have at least gone out.

I never had a boyfriend in high school, pretty much because I was so shy. The guy friends I had were just that, guy friends, and most I had known since I was little. The guys I liked I would have never thought about talking to. It was always just me and my circle of friends. Not a lot of friends, but we were happy and we went out occassionally, but in the end I always had to work.

So what's bringing on this thought? I'm thinking about how in 3 years we will have our 10 year reunion from high school. Can you believe it? 10 years! I'm interested to see where everyone is and what everyone is doing. I've kept in touch with many people via Myspace and Facebook. I wonder if they're doing what they want to with their lives? I am...I really am. I worked my ass off in college to graduate and loved college! Made some amazing friends in college. The entire time though I of course had to work, and I worked my ass off there too. Going from the radio station to the newspaper and radio station, to the radio station, and now to the Girl Scouts and the radio station. I admit I'm extremely lucky to be in a field I graduated in. Nowadays that is rare if not impossible.

Am I happy? Yeah...could I be more happy? I think so. The work part of my life is amazing right now. Doing what I love in both of my jobs. I have worked my way up to this position. My life is far from complete though. There are areas that just seem to be missing, one of those is my friends. Sometimes you just need to hang out, destress and relax a little. I just wish it were that easy...

No comments: